Praise Works

Praise Works is a personal devotional to God. It contains meditations, prayer, praise, thoughts and even rants to God. Its purpose is to be consistent in relationship with God through a written log exchange. While this is personal, perhaps others will be inspired.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Serving a Ministry is Tithing, Praise, and Worship

I am thankful that I am able to serve in ministries that I care about and have a passion for. To me, ministry is both for someone else's benefit and my own. Sometimes it takes other circumstances to for me to see that.

I had a somewhat difficult conversation with a friend the other day. What started out as me encouraging her go back to the choir which she had left, turned into a heated discussion.

She had left the church - personal circumstances - and was gone for about a year before returning back. I encouraged her to join the choir again. Her response was that she didn't see any benefit to her.

Much of her response was self-centric (not self-centered, centric!). She questioned if it would make a difference. She thought her voice wouldnt make the choir stronger and that she would not have a solo. She questioned the politics behind the ministry's management. It was disturbing to me because the reasons against it were so emotionally visceral. To me there was clearly some damage behind it.

I pointed out to her that she may not think others would be ministered but that she never knows who observes her. There are people who scan the choir and could latch on to her singing, her ministering, and be led out of something they are struggling with.

My friend said that she knows she still has issues and that she's happier singing in the congregation and worshipping than she is up there with the choir. And perhaps that is exactly what she needs - alone time. She recently came back - so in a way, she is like the prodigal son returning. She needs the alone time to be ministered to by God - and not out there ministering. After all, you cannot give what you do not possess.

My friend pointed out that her work is her ministry and that her life is a ministry - and I agree with her. All of that is true - but so is ministry in service a church.

What it came down to was that she did not believe it would make a difference. And the bottom line is, if you cannot believe it, you cannot receive it.

I personally believe ministry is important to a Chrisitan's walk. I believe that the ministrial service you provide, that you sacrifice for, opens doors that you cannot possibly imagine or see. I believe that when you show favor to a person, God shows favor on you. When you show mercy, God shows mercy. When you show service, God shows provision.

So, I thank God for the ministries He has me serving. They are a blessing. They keep me busy and they open opportunities for me.

Thank you, Lord. To God be the glory forever and ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home